Monday, May 16, 2011

Where it all starts....

Everytime I would try to speak to my GYN regarding a prophylactic oophorectomy, she would not discuss it. She said I was too young, only had one child, and unmarried. There was no convincing her that I did not want more children. I am dating someone with two of his own. I have a great 5 year old girl, I really don't want to start over. She still was unwilling to even present it as an option. So I had let it go for now. I knew I would have to find a doctor who was knowledgeable enough to understand my genetic situation, however I thought I would get through the mastectomy first....



On April 21 I had my normal six month surveillance ultrasound expecting everything to be normal, a few cysts here and there like always. Apparently, that would be too easy. The ultrasound tech found something on my right ovary that was initially described to be a hemorrhagic cyst, however the radiologist could not rule out a neoplasm. (I work at the imaging facility, so I was watching all of this unfold first hand.) My mother sees an amazing GYN oncologist, so I made an appointment. In the mean time, my radiologists reviewed my films and ruled out a hemorrhagic cyst and also found that it was present on my October ultrasound and had grown significantly in size since then. It could be a fat containing mass, or a more significant neoplastic process. There is really no telling without an MRI, which I can't have due to my tissue expander for my mastectomy. Therefore, May 11, I saw Dr. G for my consultation for a prophylactic oophorectomy (or maybe not so prophylactic at this point). At the appointment Dr. G did review my films, unable to make a determination herself as well. She recommended that I have a total hysterectomy, salpingo oophorectomy soon. She said that since I had already had my breasts removed, it would make hormone replacement therapy much easier. So this is where I stand right now. I will have to have a hysterectomy, salpino oophorectomy before my mastectomy ordeal is over.

1 comment:

  1. Jesus christ Star! This is my very first reaction! I am so sorry! have you had a ca 125 done? what about just removing your whole ovary and tube? I know you said the risk of spreading. can't they just go in first and do a explorative surgery like they are doing with me?

    ReplyDelete